Total Pageviews

14 February 2012

The power of Music

Yesterday I found out about the death of Whitney Houston. She was a woman who had a powerful voice and I loved her, until drugs ruined and probably ended up taking her life. She died in a hotel room and I can only guess that it was either an overdose or suicide, though aren’t both the same thing?
The Grammys tonight was talking about how powerful music can be.  Made me think about my essay that I wrote for a possible journal submission.  I think it’s going to end up on a website, though I am not really sure where just yet or if I want to publish electronically first. I know the net isn’t too secure and it most likely will get plagiarized at some point. But as long as the word gets out and get people thinking about how to save a life than what do I can what media helps to do that?
Today I was asked to write a message to a therapist. What would I say?  Over the last 10 years I have advised people on what to do with therapy. Some have taken the advise and really got the help they needed. Others found that it was a revolving door and after several attempts, decided it was not for them. A couple found that it opened more cans of worms than they wanted so closed the door on it and never went back.  Granted therapy of any sort is a long process.  You need the right fit, the therapist needs to be right for you and you need to be right for them. Just like any relationship, it’s a process of trial and error. Personality has a lot to do with it and also both parties need to be able to share and open up to some things to let things be on equal ground.  That has always been my preference and if I don’t have it, then so long, good bye.  I have had twelve therapists over the course of twenty years or so. All from different degrees, backgrounds, male, female, from private practice to clinics. Number thirteen has not been found yet, unless you count him as a consultant that I see from time to time. If you do, then number fourteen has yet to be found.  I have particular needs, we all do. I also need someone who is willing to be open and not so hard-ass on certain topics all the time.
Well I guess that is the start of my paper…now to see where the words take me.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true... (other than counting you), I fit into the revolving door category, or possibly the can of worms...never having found a decent therapist. Every experience has been worse than horrible - lack of understanding, useless, even dangerous advice. False empathy. I had some really appalling experiences, and have vowed never, ever to step foot in a therapist's rooms. Apart from when you open your own rooms...

    ReplyDelete